Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Filled with Joy

Normally after Halloween I get in my Christmas mode and sort of forget about Thanksgiving.  I still am thankful and celebrate and indulge in all things delicious, don't get me wrong!  This year I wanted it to be different.  I wanted to embrace this holiday that I usually don't even decorate for and try my hand at some Thanksgiving crafts, recipes, and projects.   I had been seeing these lovely "Thankful Trees" all over Pinterest and got a lot of inspiration.  I was excited to make one for myself and my little family.  After all, we are truly blessed!  When Katie Bower and friends mentioned on their blogs about the second round of the Pinterest Challenge, I decided I would join in!  I began by taking some branches that I found outside and spray painted this spring and moved them into the dining room.


I gathered all of the supplies that I thought I would need for this project.  I was winging it, so I wasn't really sure what I would end up using!  My supplies included:  jute, some glitter, glue, gray and white card stock, a hole punch, scissors, a ruler, and some string (I actually used burlap that had come off of my tablerunner). 


To begin I cut strips of paper that were 1''x3''.


To make the paper strips more decorative, I made a little "v" at the end of each strip of paper.


I used the hole punch to make a hole and then tied some jute at the end to make a loop.  I tried knotting the jute at the top of the loop, but it was too large and looked messy.  I used my leftover burlap to tie the ends of the jute together.


I repeated this process for awhile until I had a nice little pile of paper strips.


To add a little more visual interest to the strips of paper, I put some glue on the bottom of the "v" and sprinkled on some glitter.





After the glue dried, I set down with a cup of coffee and set to work writing some blessings onto each strip of paper.  I didn't do them all because I do want to take the time to write one down each day with all three of my boys, even though I was tempted to!





I put the extra strips of paper into a glass with a pen right under the thankful tree.

















Our thankful tree is already pretty full!  My little family and I have been richly blessed.  In all honesty though, this tree should be covered in jute and gray card stock.  God does so much for us every day.  I am filled with joy!


Please make sure you visit all of the other ladies who are hosting this fun Pinterest party!  I've already seen their projects and they are amazing!  Thanks for hosting, ladies!


I'll also be linking up to these fun link parties!  Please visit them as well!


Please Join My Link Party!

Stay tuned for the finished pictures from our wine cellar!  I can't wait to show you!

3 comments:

  1. I found this post via the pinterest challenge on Bower Power. I had tagged a thankful tree earlier too. But I really like yours, I repinned it here. http://pinterest.com/pin/433787798/ I like the simplicity of your cardstock, the shape of the flag and the white branches. Thanks for sharing!
    www.shopbonnenouvelle.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute tree! I posted one I just made the same day you did! I am hoping that my kids will fill it up as the month goes by. Thanks for sharing!

    Heidi@HomemadeBeautiesByHeidi

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is just beautiful! I'd love for you to share it here:

    http://oneartmama.blogspot.com/2011/11/our-home-for-holidays-party.html

    ReplyDelete