Monday, November 28, 2011

Crown of Thorns Tree Topper

Jason and I never really had something to place on top of our Christmas tree.  We bought a glittery gold star at a department store our first year of marriage because we had a coupon and needed to find something to buy!  Truth be told, we weren't all that attached to it.  The star didn't hold any sentimental value.  Growing up, I loved what my Mom placed at the top of our Christmas tree at home.  She had the most beautiful gold crown of thorns and since I've been married and have put up a tree in my home, I've wished I could find one just like hers.  This year, I decided to make one of my own.  Before I get started though, you may be wondering why I would place such a thing at the top of my tree?  As a Christian, I believe that God sent His son Jesus to earth for one reason.  Jesus lived a perfect life, suffered on the cross, and died so that we could live with Him in heaven someday!  For me, the crown of thorns is a symbol of why Jesus was born in that lowly manger on Christmas and what He suffered for me!  Placing it at the top of our tree reminds me and my family of what a gift our Savior is and points us to His death and resurrection as well as the eternal home we have in heaven.

When I made this, I made sure to choose some sticks that were still a little green so that I could easily bend them into circles, kind of like a wreath.


I made a couple of circles and wound them around each other, fastening them together with some green floral wire.  I kept adding sticks until I got the look I was after.



After I primed it, I added the "thorns."  My thorns are actually small nails I hammered into the crown of thorns.


After I was done, I spray painted the entire crown of thorns silver.  After it was dry, Jason placed it at the top of our tree.




What special item does your family place at the top of your Christmas tree?

I'm linking up to:

My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia

1 comment:

  1. This is such a great idea. Brian and I have a few he made from vines/ weeds (let's be honest :) ) in our backyard- what a fabulous way to redirect people to Christ!

    ReplyDelete